Whole Chicken Dutch Oven Recipe
Nothing beats a classic roasted chicken. Whether you are looking for a special Sunday dinner or a simple weeknight meal, this Whole Chicken Dutch Oven Recipe is sure to please. The combination of herbs, vegetables, and spices creates a delicious flavor that will have your family asking for seconds.
1 whole chicken
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 onion, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 lemon, sliced
1 sprig of rosemary
1 teaspoon of thyme
1 teaspoon of sage
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
3. Add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and lemon to the pan and cook until softened and lightly browned.
4. Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside.
5. Dry the chicken and season with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, thyme, sage and rosemary.
6. Place the chicken in the Dutch oven and brown for about 5 minutes per side.
7. Add the vegetables back to the Dutch oven and pour in 1 cup of water.
8. Place the lid on the Dutch oven and transfer to the preheated oven.
9. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
10. Remove the Dutch oven from the oven and let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before serving.
This Whole Chicken Dutch Oven Recipe is the perfect way to enjoy a classic roasted chicken with a flavorful combination of herbs and vegetables. Serve with a side of mashed potatoes and vegetables for a complete meal. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What is the best temperature to cook a whole chicken in a Dutch oven?
A1. The best temperature to cook a whole chicken in a Dutch oven is 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Q2. How long does it take to cook a whole chicken in a Dutch oven?
A2. It typically takes 1 hour and 15 minutes to cook a whole chicken in a Dutch oven.
Q3. How much liquid should be used when cooking a whole chicken in a Dutch oven?
A3. It is recommended to use 1-2 cups of liquid when cooking a whole chicken in a Dutch oven.
Q4. What is the best way to season a whole chicken before cooking in a Dutch oven?
A4. The best way to season a whole chicken before cooking in a Dutch oven is to rub the outside of the chicken with olive oil and seasonings of your choice.
Q5. What is the best way to check if a whole chicken is cooked in a Dutch oven?
A5. The best way to check if a whole chicken is cooked in a Dutch oven is to use a meat thermometer and check that the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit.