Pulled Pork Dutch Oven Recipe
This pulled pork dutch oven recipe is perfect for a Sunday dinner with family and friends. You’ll be singing praises after enjoying the succulent pork that’s been cooked low and slow in a Dutch oven. It’s the perfect combination of savory and sweet, with the pork shredding off the bone and the sweet, tangy barbecue sauce adding a layer of flavor.
– 4-5 lb. pork shoulder
– 1 onion, chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1/2 cup brown sugar
– 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
– 1/2 cup ketchup
– 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
– 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
– 2 tablespoons chili powder
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– 2 cups chicken or beef broth
– 1/4 cup molasses
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the pork shoulder and brown on all sides, about 8 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, vinegar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Pour the mixture over the pork shoulder and stir to coat.
5. Add the broth and molasses to the Dutch oven. Cover and transfer to the preheated oven.
6. Bake for 3 to 4 hours, or until the pork is tender and shreds easily with a fork.
7. Transfer the pork shoulder to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Shred with two forks and return to the Dutch oven.
8. Serve the pulled pork with your favorite sides and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ 1: What is a pulled pork dutch oven recipe?
Answer: A pulled pork dutch oven recipe is a type of slow-cooked dish that combines pork shoulder with a variety of seasonings and aromatics, such as garlic, onions, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and paprika. The pork is then cooked in a covered dutch oven or slow cooker, with the lid on, until the meat is tender and can be easily pulled apart.
FAQ 2: What type of meat is used in a pulled pork dutch oven recipe?
Answer: Pulled pork dutch oven recipes typically call for pork shoulder, which is a cut of meat from the upper part of the pig’s shoulder. It is a fatty cut, and perfect for slow-cooking.
FAQ 3: How long does it take to make a pulled pork dutch oven recipe?
Answer: The total cooking time for a pulled pork dutch oven recipe can vary, depending on the size and type of the pork shoulder, as well as the oven temperature. Generally, it takes about six to eight hours to cook a 3-4 pound pork shoulder in a covered dutch oven at a low oven temperature (300°F).
FAQ 4: What other ingredients are used in a pulled pork dutch oven recipe?
Answer: In addition to the pork shoulder, other ingredients typically used in a pulled pork dutch oven recipe include garlic, onions, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, paprika, brown sugar, and apple cider vinegar.
FAQ 5: Can a pulled pork dutch oven recipe be made in a slow cooker?
Answer: Yes, a pulled pork dutch oven recipe can be made in a slow cooker. The cooking time will be slightly longer than in an oven, but it can be done. Be sure to use the low setting on the slow cooker and cook the pork in a covered dish.