Beef Stew in a Dutch Oven Recipe
Nothing says comfort food like a hearty beef stew. This classic dish is a favorite of many and can be made in a variety of ways. A great way to make beef stew is in a Dutch oven. This method is a great way to get a flavorful and tender stew in a fraction of the time. Here is an easy Dutch oven beef stew recipe that your family is sure to love.
-2 lbs of beef stew meat
-1 large onion, chopped
-3 cloves of garlic, minced
-2 cups of beef broth
-1 can of diced tomatoes
-1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
-1 teaspoon of dried oregano
-1 teaspoon of dried thyme
-2 bay leaves
-1/2 teaspoon of salt
-1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
-2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
-2 stalks of celery, chopped
-2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
-1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
-2 tablespoons of olive oil
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
3. Add the beef stew meat and brown for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the onion, garlic, and celery and sauté for about 5 minutes.
5. Add the beef broth, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
6. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Add the carrots and potatoes and simmer for 15 more minutes.
8. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and 2 tablespoons of water to form a paste.
9. Add the paste to the stew and stir until combined.
10. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the stew to a boil.
11. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
12. Place the Dutch oven into the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
13. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
This classic beef stew recipe is a surefire way to please the whole family. The Dutch oven method is a great way to cook the stew quickly and get a delicious, tender stew in no time. Serve the stew with a side of crusty bread and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ 1: What is the best beef stew recipe for a Dutch oven?
Answer: The best beef stew recipe for a Dutch oven is one that calls for cubed beef, vegetables, beef broth, and seasonings. Common ingredients include potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, onions, and tomato paste. The stew is cooked slowly in the Dutch oven to allow the flavors to blend together.
FAQ 2: How long does it take to make beef stew in a Dutch oven?
Answer: It typically takes about 2 hours to make beef stew in a Dutch oven. This includes the time to prepare the ingredients, simmer the stew, and let it cool before serving.
FAQ 3: What type of beef should I use for a beef stew recipe?
Answer: The best type of beef to use for a beef stew recipe is a good quality, lean cut of beef such as chuck roast or stew meat. These cuts are best for slow cooking as they become tender and succulent as the stew cooks.
FAQ 4: Can I make a beef stew in a slow cooker?
Answer: Yes, you can make a beef stew in a slow cooker. The process is very similar to making one in a Dutch oven, however, the cooking time is usually longer.
FAQ 5: What vegetables are best for a beef stew?
Answer: Carrots, potatoes, celery, onions, and garlic are the most common vegetables used in beef stew. You can also add mushrooms, bell peppers, and other vegetables of your choice.